"NATALLOCK" or "MATALLUC" and Other Spellings

NATALLOCK was an Indian of the St. Francis tribe and was born about the year 1774 in the Valley of the St. Francis river in Canada. He was first seen or noticed by the people of the States at the time William Segar and others were taken prisoners at Bethel and carried to Quebec, on account of his activity in jumping, running and leaping and great rejoicing at the capture of the prisoners. He was then about seven years old. He came to East Andover the first time in 17 __, when he became acquainted with Ezekiel Merrill and his family. With other Indians of his tribe he used frequently to visit Andover for the purpose of selling their furs and getting supplies, such as powder, shot, balls, flints, salt, meals, rum, etc. Andover was a place of great resort for the Indians of different tribes before it was settled by the whites. A number of the Penobscot Tribe were here when the first settlers came, some of whom were very cross and soon left. Natallock was a very hospitable and friendly Indian, and never could bear to see any quarreling. He always interfered to stop it.

He married Mollyeunice, his first wife about the year 1798, but on account of the faithlessness to her marriage vows, he put her away, and married about the year 1800 his second wife, Oozallock, and by her had two sons, Parmagininut and Olumbo, and a daughter. On account of his putting away his first wife and marrying again, he had to leave his tribe and Canada, and at times could not even stay in the vicinity of the lakes, but came to Andover and camped near the Merrill Bridge for several years, and stayed there till the close of the war with England in 1815.

Olumbo and Parmagininut went to Canada in 1812 (?) and joined the English Army, and the former never returned. An Indian raid from Canada by way of the lakes was greatly feared by the settlers and Natallock was employed as a spy by the people of Andover to watch that region for hostile movements, which duty he faithfully performed. No demonstrations, however, were made in that part of the country. Natallock disowned both his sons in consequence of their joining the English, but after the war, Parmagininut returned and became reconciled to his father, promising to live with him and take care of him in his old age. But he was very lazy and Natallock did all the work. One day when Natallock was visiting his traps Parmagininut packed all the fur and utensils in their camp and made off with them in a canoe. Natallock returning sooner than expected, discovered what had happened and pursued his son in another canoe. A fight ensued, in the course of which both came near being drowned, but Parmagininut was finally worsted, and obliged to get off as well as he could, after which he appeared no more in these parts. Natallock remained master of the field, and of all the property that had not been lost during the fray. The canoes were both upset, but being near the shore they succeeded in reaching and rescuing most of the property which had sunk.

Natallock continued to live about the lake, dividing his time among his three camps; one was the narrows in Lake Umbagog. To this one he had a kind of supplementary camp or storehouse attached, which was on an island some little distance off in the lake. The existence of this storehouse I discovered when a boy, when visiting him in company with my brother, Alfred, and a Mr. Stanley and his son, who then lived in the Surplus. We had gone up for fishing in the month of March, 18_ , and taken a horse and pung with us. Natallock offered us the hospitality of his camp, where we built a small bough camp for the horse, and our host fearing we were not sufficiently provided with bed clothes made a journey to his storehouse to provide us with more furs. In every respect he showed himself as anxious for our comfort as the most highly civilized gentleman could have been for his guests.

Natallock's second camp was at the narrows in Richardson Lake, near which a long sandy point still bears his name (1887). Here his second wife, Oozallock lies buried, and close by was the ground used from time immemorial by the Indians in this vicinity as their meeting ground, where they held their discussions and debates and performed their war-dances. This was a fine grove of Norway pines from which all the lower branches and undergrowth had been carefully cleared away., and log seats placed for their accommodation. Mr. George F. Richardson, the first owner of the township, which he purchased from the State of Mass., when he cleared out his farm in the vicinity, gave directions that the grove should be spared, but they were not respected by his workmen, by whose heedlessness in felling trees, turning in oxen, etc., the beauty of the grove was destroyed.

Natallock's third camp was up the Magalloway River. He was found near it by Gilman Bennett and his brother who were hunting in that region, almost in a state of starvation, and his dog likewise. He had become quite blind and was unable to help or provide for himself. They found his camp deserted but the embers still warm, and hallowing were answered by Natallock, who was vainly trying to make his way to it. They took him to Stewartstown, N. H., where his daughter, who was married to a Frenchman, lived. As she was unable to support him, he became a state pauper, and died there at an advanced age.

It was a peculiarity of Natallock that he never carried any whiskey to any of his camps, dreading, lest under the influence he might set them on fire. He used latterly to keep it at Letter B (Upton) where he went when he wanted to get regularly drunk, an event which occasionally occurred. He would never hunt on Sundays nor allow his dog to do so. This dog, named "Buff," which he got from Mr. Thomas Bragg in Andover, was a large and powerful animal, and was trained to jump into the center of a birch canoe without touching the sides, and out again in the same manner. Natallock was a member of the Roman Catholic Church and used to go to Canada every few years to perform his religious duties.

Natallock was employed by Enoch Lincoln, Governor of the state, as a guide on and about the lakes, of which he drew a plan on birch bark for the Governor's use. Mr. Lincoln sketched a pen portrait of him in a corner of this plan, which he showed to my father during one of his visits to this house, which was his stopping place on his way to and from the lakes.

He was a man of superior qualities, not only well versed in all woodcraft and Indian skill, but hospitable, kind, generous, and always friendly to the white settlers, whom he was of great service, and many of whom were his friends.

I will give a story of Natallock as nearly as possible in his own words. "I was out hunting in Letter B (Upton) many years ago, having a dog with me. I struck a fresh moose track and decided to follow it for awhile, and did so. I had not followed it long when I discovered the moose a short distance before me, lying down, apparently asleep. I crept up to him very cautiously, and sprang upon his back without awakening him. He sprang to his feet, apparently much frightened, and began to shake, rear, and jump to throw me off. I had secured a good hold of his mane, which is very thick and long, and he could not get me off in that way. He then began to trot very fast, (moose never run in the woods) and was very careless of my comfort, for he went under all of the small spruce and fir trees he could find to scrape me off. I did not dare get off for fear of being attacked by him, so I had to lie down as close as I could to his back and hold on with both hands, the trees and shrubs scraping me fearfully. He soon went into the alders near the brook and open meadows, but still I stuck to him. He also plunged into Dead Cambridge stream wetting me all over, but still I held on. He next went into an open meadow, where I could sit erect, and I got out my knife and soon killed him, but not till he had almost killed me. My head, neck and shoulders were badly beaten and bruised, and several ribs were broken, with other injuries. I had to go to Dr. Ebenezer Poor in Andover for medical aid, and I do not want to take another moose ride."

Olumbo, one of Natallock's sons, told the following story of an encounter with a wildcat or catamount.

"As I was going home to the lakes from Andover, where I had been to get a supply of ammunition for hunting, up the valley of Black Brook, on my Indian trail. When near the lake, I was startled and very frightened to see a wild beast jump from a tree and disable and almost kill my dog, who was only a very short distance before me, and spring up into the tree again. On further examination, I saw it was a wildcat or catamount. I did not know what to do, it was no use to run from the animal. There was no time to lose, the cat was watching me closely, and as I feared, getting ready to spring upon me. I decided to fire at the animal, drop my gun, and retrace my steps as fast as I could, and did so, looking around as often as I could to see if I was being pursued. After being satisfied that I was not, I stopped, and began to walk back to my gun very slowly, and with great caution. On reaching the place where I stood when I shot at the cat I found the animal dead and lying on my gun. My flight after firing probably saved my life, as the indications are that he attempted to follow me, but could not." Olumbo then returned to Andover to get another dog, and brought the cat, which was pronounced to be a catamount by those seeing the skin.

It is not known what became of Olumbo, but he probably returned to his tribe, the St. Francis.

Source: "Andover Memorials" by Sylvanus Poor and Agnes Blake Poor, Published by the Andover Educational Fund, Inc., 1997, reprinted with permission

Return to top of page

Return to Andover Home Page

Return to Andover History Table of Contents Page